Joseph Sent to Egypt
Genesis 39:1 – 41:57
Last week our story was about Joseph and his brothers. Joseph was his father Jacob’s favorite son. Joseph was the son of Rachel, Jacob’s favorite wife, and Jacob didn’t hide his favoritism. Needless to say, Joseph’s brothers were jealous of Joseph. When Joseph told his brothers about the dream he had that they would one day bow down to him, the Bible says they could no longer speak peaceably with him. In short, they hated him.
Joseph’s brothers threw him into a pit with the intent to kill him. Then they figured they’d make a profit by selling him to people taking slaves to Egypt. Joseph was about seventeen years old when he was sold into Potiphar’s house. But God was with him–even when Potiphar’s wife had Joseph thrown into prison for something he didn’t do. God had a wonderful plan for Joseph. He raised up Joseph into a position of power in Egypt. Nothing can stop God’s perfect plan to send Jesus through the family of Israel.
Family Conversations and Activities
Main Points from the Bible Story:
- Joseph’s brothers sold him as a slave, and he was taken to Egypt.
- Joseph ended up in jail with Pharaoh’s cupbearer, who later told Pharaoh about Joseph.
- God showed Joseph what Pharaoh’s dreams meant.
- Pharaoh put Joseph in charge of collecting and storing grain.
Family Discussion Starters:
- Why did Joseph’s brothers hate him?
- Have you ever been jealous?
- How is Joseph like Jesus? (Both them were betrayed by people close to them.)
- What can stop God’s plan? Nothing can stop God’s perfect plan.
- Think of a family going through a tough time. Spend time praying for them as a family.
- Serve a family by running their errands, dropping off a meal, or raking their yard.
“I am the God of your father Abraham. Do not be afraid, for I am with you.” (Genesis 26:24)
Want to Talk About It?
Do you have questions about RADIUS Kids? Be sure to check out our Kids Page.
Want to know more about how you can engage your children in meaningful play? You can join our Facebook Group or feel free to contact Stephanie Ricard (RADIUS Kids Coordinator) or Andrea Krick (RADIUS Kids Preschool Coordinator).
Want to know more about the Gospel Project? Check out their website.
- 1.God Created
- 2.Sin Entered The World
- 3.Cain and Abel
- 4.Noah and the Ark
- 5.The Tower of Babel
- 6.God’s Covenant with Abraham
- 7.God Tested Abraham
- 8.The Promise Reaffirmed
- 9.The Stolen Blessing
- 10.Jacob’s New Name
- 11.Joseph Sent to Egypt
- 12.Joseph’s Dreams Came True
- 13.Angels Spoke To Mary & Joseph
- 14.Jesus Was Born
- 15.The Plagues, The Passover & The Crossing of the Red Sea
- 16.The Wilderness Test
- 17.The Golden Calf