Joseph’s Dreams Came True
On Sunday our RADIUS Kids learned what happened after Joseph’s rise to power as second-in-command of Egypt. The seven years of plenty were over, and the people were two years into the years of famine. Even in the land of Canaan, Jacob’s family needed food if they were to survive.
Ten of Jacob’s sons went to Egypt to buy grain. They went to Joseph, who was in charge of distributing the food. Joseph recognized his brothers immediately, but they did not recognize him. Joseph put his brothers through a series of tests. He accused them of being spies and required them to return with their youngest brother, Benjamin. Finally, he revealed that he was their brother! His brothers were terrified. Joseph was in position to exact revenge, but instead Joseph showed them grace.
Joseph explained why God allowed him to be taken to Egypt. Even though his brothers intended harm, God intended his good. Joseph told his family to come to Egypt where they could thrive. Thrive they did! In Egypt, they grew into a multitude. God had a plan for Joseph’s life. He allowed Joseph to suffer in order to rescue a whole nation. God planned for Jesus to suffer so that many—people from all nations—would be saved.
Family Conversations and Activities
Main Points from the Bible Story:
- Joseph’s brothers came to Egypt to purchase grain, but they did not recognize Joseph.
- Joseph told the brothers to come back with Benjamin and then told them who he was.
- Joseph forgave his brothers and all of Joseph’s family moved to be with Joseph, establishing a remnant of God’s people in Egypt.
Family Discussion Starters:
- How did God use evil for good?
- When someone wrongs you, do you choose to forgive or to seek revenge?
- What can stop God’s plan? Nothing can stop God’s perfect plan.
- Talk about what it must have been like for Jacob’s family to have no food. Gather food to donate to a food pantry.
“I am the God of your father Abraham. Do not be afraid, for I am with you.” (Genesis 26:24)
Want to Talk About It?
Do you have questions about RADIUS Kids? Be sure to check out our Kids Page.
Want to know more about how you can engage your children in meaningful play? You can join our Facebook Group or feel free to contact Stephanie Ricard (RADIUS Kids Coordinator) or Andrea Krick (RADIUS Kids Preschool Coordinator).
Want to know more about the Gospel Project? Check out their website.
- 1.God Created
- 2.Sin Entered The World
- 3.Cain and Abel
- 4.Noah and the Ark
- 5.The Tower of Babel
- 6.God’s Covenant with Abraham
- 7.God Tested Abraham
- 8.The Promise Reaffirmed
- 9.The Stolen Blessing
- 10.Jacob’s New Name
- 11.Joseph Sent to Egypt
- 12.Joseph’s Dreams Came True
- 13.Angels Spoke To Mary & Joseph
- 14.Jesus Was Born
- 15.The Plagues, The Passover & The Crossing of the Red Sea
- 16.The Wilderness Test
- 17.The Golden Calf