God’s Covenant with Abraham
Genesis 12:1-3; 15:1-21; 17:1-9
As our RADIUS Kids continue to walk through the book of Genesis, they continue to learn that God is a covenant-making God. A covenant is a promise and our kids are learning that God always keeps His promises.
After the people spread out over all the earth when God mixed up their languages, He spoke to a man named Abram. God called Abram to leave behind his family and his lands to go to a place God would show him. God made a covenant with Abram, promising to bless all the world through one of his descendants. (Gen 12:1-3) By faith, Abram obeyed.
God was serious about the covenant; He always keeps His promises. God even changed Abram’s name to Abraham, which means “Father of a Multitude.” God promised to bless all the people in the world through Abraham. God sent Jesus from His home in heaven to come to earth as part of Abraham’s family. Jesus blesses all the people on earth because He saves people from their sins.
Family Conversations and Activities
RADIUS Kids – Preschool
Family Discussion Starters:
- Tell about a time someone made a promise to you or you made a promise to someone else. Was the promise kept?
- Do you think it was hard for Abraham to believe God would really give him a big family? Why?
- Look at the sky on a clear night. Try to count the stars. Discuss how God always keeps His promises.
Trust (hug yourself) in the Lord (point one index finger straight up above your head) with all (make big circles with both arms) your heart (put both hands over your heart) Proverbs 3:5 (hold your hands like an open book in front of you).
RADIUS Kids – Elementary
Family Discussion Starters:
- What promises have you made? Did you keep them? Why or why not?
- Abraham had faith in God’s promise. What is faith? (See Hebrews 11:1)
- How has God bless your family?
- Try to count the stars on a clear night. Remind kids that God always keeps His promises.
- Write a prayer to thank God for being faithful.
Abraham believed God, and God counted him as righteous because of his faith. (Romans 4:3)
Want to Talk About It?
Do you have questions about RADIUS Kids? Be sure to check out our Kids Page.
Want to know more about how you can engage your children in meaningful play? You can join our Facebook Group or feel free to contact Stephanie Ricard (RADIUS Kids Coordinator) or Andrea Krick (RADIUS Kids Preschool Coordinator).
Want to know more about the Gospel Project? Check out their website.
- 1.God Created
- 2.Sin Entered The World
- 3.Cain and Abel
- 4.Noah and the Ark
- 5.The Tower of Babel
- 6.God’s Covenant with Abraham
- 7.God Tested Abraham
- 8.The Promise Reaffirmed
- 9.The Stolen Blessing
- 10.Jacob’s New Name
- 11.Joseph Sent to Egypt
- 12.Joseph’s Dreams Came True
- 13.Angels Spoke To Mary & Joseph
- 14.Jesus Was Born
- 15.The Plagues, The Passover & The Crossing of the Red Sea
- 16.The Wilderness Test
- 17.The Golden Calf