God Tested Abraham
This week our RADIUS Kids learned about an event that occurred after Abraham and Sarah had their son of promise, Isaac. Abraham received another message from God. God instructed Abraham to take his son Isaac and sacrifice him on a mountain God would tell him about.
Abraham had waited so many years for this child! But what did Abraham do? He woke up early the next morning and set out with Isaac to do what God commanded. By this point, Abraham had supreme faith that God was able to do anything. Hebrews 11:17-19 gives us a peek inside Abraham’s mind: “He considered God to be able even to raise someone from the dead.”
Abraham showed his love for God by being willing to sacrifice his son Isaac. God provided a ram for the burnt offering in place of Isaac, who was spared. This is how God showed His love for us: He sent His Son, Jesus, to die on the cross so that we could have eternal life through Him.
Family Conversations and Activities
RADIUS Kids – Preschool
Family Discussion Starters:
- Sometimes it is hard to obey. Tell about a time when obeying was hard for you.
- Abraham showed that he loved God most of all. What are some things you were tempted to love more than God?
- With your child, collect several things around the house that are gifts from God. Talk about how each thing is a gift from God, and thank Him for each gift you’ve collected.
Trust (hug yourself) in the Lord (point one index finger straight up above your head) with all (make big circles with both arms) your heart (put both hands over your heart) Proverbs 3:5 (hold your hands like an open book in front of you).
RADIUS Kids – Elementary
Family Discussion Starters:
- What promises have you made? Did you keep them? Why or why not?
- Abraham had faith in God’s promise. What is faith? (See Hebrews 11:1)
- How has God bless your family?
- Try to count the stars on a clear night. Remind kids that God always keeps His promises.
- Write a prayer to thank God for being faithful.
Abraham believed God, and God counted him as righteous because of his faith. (Romans 4:3)
Want to Talk About It?
Do you have questions about RADIUS Kids? Be sure to check out our Kids Page.
Want to know more about how you can engage your children in meaningful play? You can join our Facebook Group or feel free to contact Stephanie Ricard (RADIUS Kids Coordinator) or Andrea Krick (RADIUS Kids Preschool Coordinator).
Want to know more about the Gospel Project? Check out their website.
- 1.God Created
- 2.Sin Entered The World
- 3.Cain and Abel
- 4.Noah and the Ark
- 5.The Tower of Babel
- 6.God’s Covenant with Abraham
- 7.God Tested Abraham
- 8.The Promise Reaffirmed
- 9.The Stolen Blessing
- 10.Jacob’s New Name
- 11.Joseph Sent to Egypt
- 12.Joseph’s Dreams Came True
- 13.Angels Spoke To Mary & Joseph
- 14.Jesus Was Born
- 15.The Plagues, The Passover & The Crossing of the Red Sea
- 16.The Wilderness Test
- 17.The Golden Calf